Let me tell you what I did originally pack (though what I ultimately came home with is not the same, and I actually did ship some of these items home in a box as I realized what I wasn't actually wearing, or because I bought something better while on holiday). And of course I did pack underwear and a swimsuit (I did go to thermal springs and such). Obviously I did laundry while on vacation and made sure that my hotels and rented apartments had facilities as there is no way to avoid laundry during a 5-week holiday. But here it is:
- charcoal sheath dress (Modcloth)
- light blue turtleneck (Banana Republic)
- black alpaca shawl/sweater (Helmut Lang)
- black wool blazer (Helmut Lang)
- plain white t-shirt (Elizabeth & Clarke)
- graphic t-shirt (my own custom made design)
- pair of darkwash jeans (Genetic Denim)
- long sleeved black shirt (Elizabeth & Clarke)
- wool fair isle sweater (Gap)
- white collared shirt (Elizabeth & Clarke)
- oxblood trousers (Gap)
- black-and-white striped cardigan (DYT Type 4 store)
- light pink sweater (Rag & Bone)
And then there are things like my coat, shoes, accessories, etc. which I am going to show here too, so you can see what I actually packed. But like I mentioned earlier, I did end up shipping some of this back home because I wasn't wearing it. So even though this was a 5-week trip, what you are looking at is STILL me overpacking!
- stockings (Wolford)
- black wool peacoat (Torn by Ronny Kobo)
- pink silk scarf (Hermes)
- umbrella (Claire's)
- leopard print clutch/wallet (Kate Spade)
- sunglasses (Zulily)
- mint green purse (Gucci)
- my suitcase of course (Diane von Furstenberg)
- fleece-lined gloves (some sports store I forget the name of)
- black leather heels (Christian Louboutin)
- plaid blanket scarf (Modcloth)
- black leather insulated boots (Hushpuppies)
- navy beanie hat (Modcloth)
- polka dot flat tennis shoes (Converse)
- black laptop bag (DYT Type 4 store)
I actually think I did mostly good on the accessories, with the exception of packing too many shoes. I shipped the polka dot converse shoes back home, because my black boots were very comfortable for walking in, and better suited for the snow (and occasional snow/wind storm) I encountered in Northern Europe.
I also packed a swimsuit, 4 pairs of wool socks, 2 bras and 7 underwear, and some jewelry.
I won't do an exhaustive overview of every single outfit and clothing combination I wore during 5 weeks of travel, but I'll post a few so you can get an idea of how the various items worked together to create different looks that were easy to wear, but not entirely 100% boring. But I am BAD at accessorizing. I fully admit and own that. But I hope you can appreciate that unlike some fashion bloggers, I post very wearable things that the average person can actually wear and put together on their own. No weird "high fashion" or "couture". These are regular clothes, and totally doable.
The oxblood pants, white collared shirt, both t-shirts, the cardigan, the little mint green bag, and the converse tennis shoes were all shipped home within in the first week.
Mostly because once I was done with warm California temperatures, I knew I wasn't going to wear a lot of those items again, and secondly, I had done an embarrassing amount of shopping already at that point, and wanted to maximize free space in my suitcase.
I hope this helps you figure out and narrow down what to pack for your own adventures!