The regular Glam Bag ($12) contains 5 deluxe samples and the occasional full-size product, and the Glam Bag Plus ($25) contains 5 full-sized products. The newly released Glam Bag Utimate ($50, ouch) contains 8 full-size and 4 deluxe samples. You can just get TWO Glam Bag Pluses for $50 and just get 10 full-size products. Or, if you do like getting some deluxe samples, get one Glam Bag plus and the regular Glam Bag for a total of $37. The Glam Bag Ultimate did not feel like an upgrade, especially considering it is TWICE The price.
Here is what I am receiving, but note: I bought 5 add-ons, and cashed in my stockpile of points for that Violet Voss palette.
- Huda Obsessions Eyeshadow Palette in Warm Brown (I chose this item to be included, because you get to partially customize your boxes now, woo-hoo!)
- Set of 3 F.A.R.A.H brushes (one of which I received last month)
- Biorace L'eau Hydrating Treatment Serum
- Betty Boop x Ipsy Cheek to Cheek Blush palette (anyone else getting tired of these dumb collaborations with Ipsy?)
- L.O.C.K Color Unicorn Glow Hydrating Primer
- Kaleido Cosmetics Obsidian Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
- Ibom Lemon Verbena Clay Mask (another duplicate from last month)
- Coloured Raine Cosmetics eyeshadow in Glamour
- C'est Moi Beauty Reflect Lip Gloss in Opulence
- Nanette Lepore fragrance in Beautiful Times
- The Saem Natural Avocado and Shea Butter sheet mask set
- Murad AHA/BHA exfoliating cleanser
Honestly, it would't have felt so bad if the price tag were less than $50. It's 12 items, but only 8 are full-size. For $50, I can get 10 full-size items (by getting two Glam Bag Pluses, by using two different emails or my daughter's email), and that seems like a way better value for my money.
Here is what I added-on: (their add-ons are $12 for full-size products, and $3 for deluxe samples)
- It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50 in Medium (deluxe sample... I have a full size of this product, and having a convenient travel size was worth the three bucks. I recommend scooping up sample sizes of your favorite full-size products for travel or your purse so you don't have to fuss with buying little containers and labeling them and all that)
- Moon Oral Care teeth whitening pen (full size)
- Private Doctor Define Minus Serum (deluxe sample)
- Touch in Sol No Poreblem Priming Water (full size... one of my favorite K-beauty brands)
- Soo Ae Panda Eye Brightening Mask (deluxe sample)
I then finally cashed in 1200 points for a Violet Voss eyeshadow palette in Fruit Sorbet. I have been stockpiling points like crazy and decided that palette was worth trying for basically free. I hope the colors are as vibrant as they looked in the stock photo.
Now, let's compare all of that to my Glam Bag Plus, and 2 regular Glam Bags (I accidentally forgot to cancel one, whoops). This is from September and I just never got around to sharing my massive makeup haul. The total cost of having these 3 subscriptions is $49, by the way. These also include add-ons I purchased, and I'll break it all down for you.
- Nomad Cosmetics Berlin Underground eyeshadow palette
- Illamasqua Antimatter Lipstick in Solar
- Ciate London Extraordinary Translucent Powder
- Ofra Cosmetics x Madison Miller Squad Palette (blushes and highlighter)
- Apto Skincare Antioxidant Mask with Pomegranate
Add-ons cost the same regardless of which Ipsy bag you subscribe you, and we all have the same options to choose from, which is nice, I think. Samples are $3, and full-size are $12.
- Babe Lash eyelash growth serum (full size)
- Glamglow Tropical Cleanse daily exfoliating cleanser (full size)
- Glow Receipe Watermelon sleep mask (deluxe sample)
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness moisturizer (deluxe sample)
- 111Skin eye serum (deluxe sample)
Now on to the regular Ipsy Glam Bags ($12 each). You'll notice that many of my add-ons are the same, because that's the only way you can get duplicates of the same item if you want to buy more than one of the same add-on... having multiple subscriptions. So, if add-ons are a huge perk for you like they are for me, this is another score in favor of NOT getting the Glam Bag Ultimate, since that counts as only a single (expensive) subscription that only gets you 5 add-ons max, and no duplicates. Where as for $49, I have 3 subscriptions, and the opportunity to grab duplicate items, and 5 add-ons EACH subscription means I can buy up to 15 extras. Granted, that's adds up monetarily, so for me, it's more about grabbing dupes of items I already know I love. Like Babe Lash.
| || |
Now to my add-ons, because I'm a whore for add-ons:
- Babe Lash eyelash growth serum x2 (one from each bag)
- Glow Recipe Watermelon sleeping mask x2 (one from each bag)
- Lord & Berry clear lipliner (another item I cashed in 600 points for)
Whew, this blog post was way longer than I intended. I swear I'm wrapping it up now.
In the end, I don't think Glam Bag Ultimate is worth it. There were promises of getting BETTER products and BETTER brands than the Glam Bag Plus and regular Glam Bag, but as you can see, it was full of duplicates, and the same Indie brands that you always get, and even the same higher end brands you always get (I DO NOT NEED MORE FREAKING HUDA PALETTES, IPSY). Ipsy did NOT deliver.
I do still like Ipsy but I think the real value is in the Glam Bag Plus and the add-ons. That is the subscription I recommend from them. Get one glam bag subscription, or if you really love makeup, I'd get two glam bag plus subscriptions, or one glam bag plus subscription with a regular glam bag subscription. But don't bother with the Ultimate. It is ultimately disappointing.