When picking a simpler outfit, aim for unique necklines, structure, or details (like the moto detailing on the boots). If you do still like having a little something extra, you can add a statement necklace or a bit of pattern in an accessory, like I did. But I could have skipped those and still maintained the sleek, modern, minimalist look that doesn't look snooze-worthy.
Even when picking solids, pick something with some kind of unique style feature. It doesn't have to be outllandish or busy. But if there isn't much going on otherwise, aim for unique design lines. It is a very understated way of showcasing your style, when it's a "less is more" kind of day!
Here is what I wore:
- Top: burgundy knit sweater top from Chico's
- Top: plain black athleisure tee from Fabletics
- Bottom: Very dark-wash denim from Rag & Bone
- Shoes: Black leather moto boots from Hush Puppies
- Purse: Republic of Aces
- Sunglasses: the baroque from Prada (I own black AND white, FYI, but I also bought super cheap knock-offs for things like vacations or other situations in which I might lose them, from Zulily, if you just want the style but not the designer label)
- Jewelry: Paparazzi
I love sweater weather! And honestly, I am also really loving Mondays. It means I have an entire week of productivity to look forward to, where I'm not nearly as side-tracked by family activities or recreation because the kids are in school, and my husband is working (okay, his desk is literally like 5 feet from mine, but he mostly knows to leave me be and let me get MY work done too!). Basically Mondays mean that things get quiet and I can really tackle my to-do list and get things crossed off. Weekends throw me out of my groove and I don't get nearly as much done, not even with the kids as they all want to do very different things and refuse to agree on anything (I swear they do it purely out of principle). But Mondays are the best. They're the new start I get every week. And I swear the coffee tastes just a little bit better on Monday morning.