Minor tweaks to your normal clothing can do a lot to take your outfit up a notch!
What I did was, in the interest of time, kept my base layers the same (as in the floral top and the moto leggings).
Swapping out a cardigan for a blazer will always work in a pinch to take your level of dress UP a notch. I mean, it's a blazer. I think everyone should own a blazer, even if they stay at home with young kids. You can purchase them in ponte knits that are stretchy, comfortable, and machine-washable. Go with a dark color and you don't have to worry about stains from young kids, and darker also tends to be more universally able to mix-and-match everything you own. (If black is not your color, other options are navy, dark brown, or dark jewel-tones like dark purple, dark burgundy or a reddish brown, or dark teal)
Metallics are also going to present as a little more dressy. I already had a necklace on, but threw on a bracelet and a shiny silver belt (I like an oversized blazer with a belt). You can do flowy, but creating some sort of "structure" and "fitted" lines in your outfit will also make it look a little more dressed up.
And then I swapped out my flats for a pair of really fun heels, and grabbed a clutch. DONE! (If you prefer flats, a pointed toe flat seems dressier than a round-toe flat! And if you pick something metallic, boldly colored, or in a patent/shiny finish, even better!)
Granted, I would have been fine wearing the outfit on the left to go visit this winery, since everyone out here in the Pacific Northwest is PAINFULLY casual, but I treat date night like the special occasion that it is, and I dress up for it, even if it's just *slightly* more dressed up than the outfit I was already wearing all day. Date night deserves better than the outfit I scrub toilets in.
Here's what I wore:
- Top: Floral blouse from Stitch Fix
- Cardigan: Black 3/4 sleeve cardigan from the DYT store
- Blazer: Black oversized blazer from Elizabeth & James
- Necklace: Pink pendant necklace from Paparazzi
- Pants: Black ponte-knit moto leggings from Stitch Fix
- Shoes: Striped ballet flats from who knows where, they're ancient! Hot pink suede pumps by Chinese Laundry, from Zulily
- Bracelet: Ashley Bridget Co
- Belt: I bought it HERE from Amazon ($5.99 - $9.99, tons of color choices!)
- Clutch: striped leather wallet from Kate Spade
I am off to go get some coffee, and I hope you're in my Facebook group, We Only Test on Party Animals, because I've got some fun things planned for the very near future! See you soon!